Reading in Early Years
Dear Parents and Carers,
First of all, we would like to say a huge thank you for your ongoing support with all of the routines which are new to lots of you. We wanted to clarify reading to avoid any confusion with the reading records and our reading reward scheme. As you will know from our Early Years newsletter, we will be hosting a Santa Story Special for the children who have read 5 times a week for the whole term, on the 16th December for Windsor and on the 17th December for Camber, which is by invitation only.
Below are the criteria for our reading parties…
- Children must be heard reading for 5-10 minutes 5 times a week.
- Reads must be recorded in the reading record 5 separate times.
- Reads only include the school scheme reading book allocated by the teacher
(although any reading on separate occasions is always encouraged but please do not write these in the reading record book.)
- We allocate reading books to children based on our knowledge of the sounds they know, their confidence and their fluency. Reading other scheme books you may have at home, do not count for this reason. It is important that children read their books several times because with each read, they gain confidence and can become an expert at that book, they can focus on a different part of the book each time and the teachers in school can also support them with their book that week. Although the book is the same, each read can be different!
- Our reading parties are invitation only- so if your child is not reading the book allocated by the class teacher 5 times a week, sadly they will miss out.
- Children can make up for lost days by reading on extra occasions at the weekend.
- We realise this is a new system to most so we have been taking this into consideration, but will now be looking more closely in the following weeks before writing the invitations, in line with the whole school criteria for reading rewards.
Please do speak to us if you are not sure about how to fill in your child’s reading record, we are always happy to help!
The Early Years Team